
An Overview
When I reached JFK and saw my cousin waiting to receive me (who by the way drove down from Bridgeport, Connecticut only to put me on a shuttle to the city) it felt sooo good to see a familiar face and thats when I knew that I was about to set out on a rollercoaster summer in NYC! Having loads of family in NY was amazing, it was a reason to look forward to! My cousins I grew up with, spent summers with them in Mumbai - Meghna, Gaurav, his wife Nancy, Varun, Kapil (who lives in Philadelphia) and of course Abhilasha and Sandeep from Connecticut.
Varun, Nancy, Gaurav Meghna
Varun - Hes two months younger than me, but I love to boss him around! Everyone needs someone and a little brother (although hes 6"2') is all I needed! He was working with Deutsche Bank in Wall Street while I was there and shared a cute apartment with someone I didnt meet on 23rd and Lexington! I dnt know if I have the nos right, but I know that it was near Jaya Thai! :) yummm....Ronnie, dont come back!
Sapna a.k.a. Nancy - Well, honestly, it was the only time I got to really interact with her post her wedding to my favvvvvvvvv brother Gaurav. But shes awesome, really warm and sweet and above all a great cook - makes the best pasta! She def has found her way into Golly's heart.. haha...
Gaurav - Golllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.. :) Iv already said that you are my favorite and I always thought you resemble two people - one from Hollywood - Nicholas Cage and one from Bollywood - Ranvir Shorey! I love your bald look and think you should keep it that way! I promise to play basketball with you and your boys the next time I'm in NY - last time was a wee bit shy! haha.. So Golls, the AVP at Credit Suisse (big people! :) ) and yes I did embarrass him in his office, in the conference room, wearing my osho dress and asking what the markets looked like - all this without knowing there were cameras watching me!!!! Well, he still has his job, so we good! haha..
Meghna a.k.a. Maggie - My partner in crime! Im so glad you were single while I was there! hahahaha! She gave me boarding and loadging, helped me around NY and in short, painted the city red with me! :) She works with Susquehanna International at Wall Street (again), 42 Trump Towers under her soooo sweet analyst Jamie! He gave her off whenever she took my name and he even came for my presentation on my final day at Parsons! and yes, he also smirked at my - FAKE LINE OUTSIDE ABERCROMBIE! hahhaha..
View from my window - Meghna's place - Jersey City, Exchange Place
I loved Jersey City. I loved living here - peaceful, quiet, got the best of both worlds.
You see the Colgate Watch and you see the Statue of Liberty on the right.
Theres a small strip which is open and leads into the Hudson River - our favorite resting point, picnic spot, and of course millers light spot! :)
After a hectic,tiring, expensive day in Manhattan, it was always so nice to walk back home from the subway, across the boardwalk, looking into the towers of concrete I was consumed by a few mintures ago!
Magaritas at Southwest
And then sometimes taking the ferry home from the World Financial Centre after a couple of Strawberry Magaritas at Southwest! Magaritas and a swaying ferry, you can only guess what it did to us..... :) Were we HAPPY!!!



I had carried a Tri-Band Samsung Mobile Instrument from India but to my bad luck the instrument was wonky and the battery refused to charge at home!!! And for some strange reason, it would only charge at the same T-Mobile store where I got my sim! So, as a ritual (till I got another phone) I went there everyday to charge my phone and greeted with 18yr old smiles...











Nipun Chopraa!!! I dont even know what to say about this tall young man! :) Well, I shall try my best to say good things about him. Nipun, are you listening, you give people no choice! haha...



So Richa came in to add to the excitement as well as a reunion after sooo many years! As kids we guys always spent the summer holidays together. While all of them were in Mumbai, my sister Prerna and I would visit on school vacations! While everyone was there, we all trerribly missed Prerna! How we wished she was there as well, it would have been complete!






So, Parsons! Wow, I never thought this would happen but it did! My classes started a week after I reached NYC, so meanwhile I got familiar with the following words - Block, Avenue, Broadway, Path train, Metro card, Subway, the E or A or C from WTC, 33rd street MACY's (also the last stop of the Path Train which came directly from Jersey City). I started understanding the Upper/Lower East, what East Village was all about, NYU, FIT, what it meant to be in Brookyln ;) and what was the sooo Indian popular Jackson Heights, Queens!
The 1st's...Bevereges!!
How can I not mention STARBUCKS!
My first cup of coffee - "A tall white chocolate mocha", to go!

How can I not mention HARD ROCK CAFE!
My first drink - "Mojito" - hola....
T- Mobile & Ruby Tuesday
So I get myself a mobile connection at a T-Mobile store right next to the Parsons Campus (where Project Runway was being shot) on 42nd & 7th (if im not wrong).
I had carried a Tri-Band Samsung Mobile Instrument from India but to my bad luck the instrument was wonky and the battery refused to charge at home!!! And for some strange reason, it would only charge at the same T-Mobile store where I got my sim! So, as a ritual (till I got another phone) I went there everyday to charge my phone and greeted with 18yr old smiles...Charging one's phone takes time right? So a productive means of killing time, the best possible option we had was RUBY TUESDAY right across the street! Why wait for the evening right!? ;)
So, as this jobless week passed with Meghna taking off from work, both of us painting the city red, Gaurav, Nancy and Varun joining in whenever possible, the weeks for some hard work followed... My life as a New Yorker started right then! Huddling through the crowded subways in the early work hours of the morning, running to get to class on time with an iced-coffee in hand - I could do all of this, all over again!
- it started with an orientation where students of all summer school programmes were assmiliated for a brief introduction and welcome to Parsons, The New School for Design. It was amazing to see students/professionals from allll over the world come in for 4 weeks at one of the most presitgious design schools in the world! It was awesome!
So my classes were at the campus located on13th and 6th. We assembled there that afternoon, welcomed by our professors Carlos Texeira and Heico Wessilus who were to take our Design and Management Classes! We were a class of 30 and I have to say (being a majority of girls) when we started introducing ourselves, name, profession and country it really sounded like a Miss World contest! hahahhaa....
"Hi, my name is Thea, and Im from Oslo"
"Hi, my name is Georgia, and Im from Barcelona"
"Hi, my name is Kristina, and Im from Russia"
I of course was the only one from India but not the only Indian! I met Saniya Gandhi, who was studying in Chicago, but she'd been born and brought up in Bangkok.
On a field trip to the Art Galleries in Chelsea and thats our professor Heicco!
This is my friend Saniya Gandhi, my Chipotle, Pizza 33 and Pinkberry lunch partner!!!
The closest to the campus, the best, cheapest and most refreshing in the hot sun!
We almost became brand ambassadors of Pinkberry! Strawberries with whipped yougurt!! BLISSSSSSSS..... :)
So I shall publish another post on my experience at Parsons! Theres so much to write and talk about it, that I would not do justice to it by adding on to this post.
Post 4pm..
But what I can elaborate on is my activities post 4pm! So I obviously never went home straight from classes, wandering the streets of Manhattan, looking around, museums, soaking in the city, meet up with my friend Shahana or Parul! Woopss, I havent mentioned Parul yet!
PARUL JUNEJA
(I hope this isnt looking like an obituary! hahahaha..... )
1983 - present.. (hahha) sorry Parul, it was just going with the flow!
Well, she is someone who probably needs another post by itself, but to briefly introduce her, she's my best friend Akriti's, best friend! So Parul works in a Spanish Bank in NY, her boss is actually quite cute! We went for drinks with her office people to the terrace bar at Dream Hotel - $20 a Mojito! Rip-off!! - Anyhow, it was fun though and we went some interesting people including Adrian Alvarez!
At the same time, partied away with my cousins...

My 1st nightout in NYC, My 1st Bollywood night in NYC ...
Hey I have to say this - this was my first night out in NYC and I was really looking forward to some great music, so due to plan backfire at 230 5th, we landed up at private pent house party playing - "its the time to disco"! While that was not amusing enough, we get out of the cab outside Park and theres another nightclub next to it called Earth - guess what it was playing? 'Its the time to discoooo.. " hahhaha..


At the Park, Meatpacking District
Gaurav, Nancy, Varun, Meghna and me
(great music)
I really missed Nicky being around...
The one cousin I really missed was Nicky! She has been living in NY for 10 years now and as luck would have it she was in Mumbai for the entire duration I was in NY!!!

NICKY
I missed you!!! - but we had a greatt time in Bombay!
Shiros, Hawain Shack, Zenzi, Orris, Henry Thams - I dont know if we left any!
The bhel of course... :)
And then.....AKU came to NYC
Akriti Vora is one of my closestttttt friend from college (Bangalore). We studied together, lived together and did everything together! I have a special charm of doing vodoo on her and trust me it worksssss!! I just have to say it and its done!! ;)
So, Aku was holidaying with her family and decided to come to NY for a week since both me and Parul (her childhood friend from Delhi) were there! So we were 4 single girls in NY and man, did we have a blast or what?!!!!
Here are some glimpses,
Dinner at Brio
Meghna, me, Akriti and Parul
I cant believe I didnt come to Maison with you guys after!!!!
Hot Dogs at Soho! This is when Paruls famoussssssss "error ho gayi" line was born! She got off the wrong stop on the sub and reached China Town instead of Soho!
Hence, her apologies - punjabi style!!
AAAhhhhemmmmm, what do I say about this night! Suzi Wong at the Meatpacking Distrcit. Parul uses her contacts and gets us is, we drink, we dance! and then?? Parul fallsss!!!!! hahahaha! And how can I forget Samsung - for those who dont know him, hes, Sam Singh :) So he had just bought a new convertible that night and drove us around NY. Post partying, falling, drunking ;P, we were hungry, so where do we go? - JACKSON HEIGHTS!!!! hahaha, ohhhh soooo funny! We went to this restraunt called Roti Boti and ate Paneer Butter Masala, Channa Masala and Naan!!!! Blisss of course! :)
And then... who came in from DC?!!!
MS NIVEDITA MEHRA!!!!
So Nivy was on work in the US couple of weeks before we came in to NY. Once done with her fancy conferences etc etc she came to be with us in NY! We planned one night at 230 5th which turned out to be a total bummer, nevertheless we had couple of more opportunities to meet before she left for India! I got to meet some of Nivy's friends from Uni and we went to this awesome Italian place in SOHO for an early dinner - I forget the name but shall add it as soon as I get our pic as well.
But Nivoo is a very dear friend from high school. My frequent trips to Delhi and hers to Bombay while I was there got us bonding lots more than usual :) and Aku came in as well! So here we were, the notorious lot, all of us together in the BIG APPLE!
And then I did some traveling....
4th July Weekend @ BOSTON
So Meghna and I decided to go to Boston for the long weekend. As much as I loved the place and the fireworks by the river, the candy floss and the fun and frolic, I have to admit I also missed Aku being in NY and the Armin Van Buuren Concert. Anyhow, Boston was cold, we were not prepared so both Meghna and I bought the same swear-shirts and roamed around the city - so typically touristy! :)
The cold weather obviously called for a TALL WHITE CHOCOLATE MOCHA and we were thrilled to find a Starbucks at Hardvard Square! Amongst all the students, tons of Indian faces, it was amazing! As we walked around the MIT area, I was spellbound by its architecture! To see images of splendid architecture is something, but standing in front of it and absorbing its nuances is really something else!
I shall write more about Boston in another post, however, here's a glipmse from the busy Quincy Market.
I come back to NY and Meet Nipun@ Madison Square Garden!
Ok, so let me start by saying that he's been a very dear friend since our high school days! We go back a reallll long way and I had the chance to meet him for 40 mins at a local deli opposite Madison Square Garden after nearly 5 years!
Meeting him after so long didnt feel like any time had passed! This man refuses to grow up and you know what, thats the best part! We took off just where we left off and it was awesome! Mr Nipples! I think Im being a bit too nice to you here! :) But jokes apart, we had a great 40 mins post which, he of course couldnt stop asking about my cousin!! haha..
And I'm sailing, to Philadelphiaaaaaaaaaaa.........
Speaking of trips, I also went to Philadelphia to meet my cousin Kapil (meghnas brother) and we drove to ATLANTIC CITY.. yeahhhh...But before that let me introduce Kapil to you! Hes about 7 years older than me, has been living in Philly for the last 8 yrs I reckon, teaches at Cornell and is also manager at Barclays Bank! He has a very cute apartment by the water in Philly, next to the museum! The museums - OMG - original Van Gogh's, Matisse - paintings I always saw in books in my college library!
And then an hour away, ATLANTIC CITY!
Free Mojitos while on a 25cent slot machine....
My brother won this for me! NEMO! Unfortunately I coudnt carry it back with me! :(
Hey I also did some work!! :)
Im serious..
Ok now I didnt only have fun!!! I also did some real constructive work and spend a lot of time seeing and observing! NYC is of those places where walking on the streets itself teaches you so much and as a designer its one of your key tasks! Seeing is believing!
Window Displays, Graphics, Signage, Interactive systems developed for public and priavte use, fashion, colours, trends - the gladiator slippers, long flowing dresses, ray ban aviators, estee lauder bag (on a superb offer with cosmetics) at MACY's - the city flaunted these tit-bits! There were sales all over and it was so interesting to just watch people! Traveling in the subway at different timings attracted different profiles of New Yorkers and each of them had a style of their own. However, in a very strange yet pleasant way, they all seemed to be tied into one string and I guess its pretty obvious what it is - I Love NY ! :)
MOMA...
The city really grows on you and I was able to attend some real nice shows, exhibitions and conferences while I was there at the MOMA, MET, L'Oreal Cosmetics at SOHO HOUSE.
5th Avenue...
I also loved the evening movies at Bryant Park, lazing in Central Park and of course wandering around 5th Avenue, which sports ALL the brands! You name it and it has it! The store facades, product displays, graphics - everything was spectacular! I enjoyed every bit of it since they were things I usually depended on Google for! And to actually stand in front of them, was an experience!
Louis Vuitton
Apple Store...
Visits to the Apple Store, Rockerfeller Centre! Wow! The Rink Bar there has exceptionally yum Mojitos and I would definitely recommend them to anyone who goes there! Radio city, Saks - all WOW!
Cheers to America's marketing abilities!
I love the way America can really market their product! Its amazing how they do it - whether you walk into a Hersheys store or M&M's or even I love NY merchandise! Its amazing how they can really attract people to do it and I really wish we bring this about in our country! As a designer, you are definitely encouraged to take up such projects....so someday, sometime! :)
I'd love to elaborate on my thoughts on these fronts to interest some of my fellow designer friends, however to continue with the fun side of my American Summer, I had another visitor!
RICHA!!
So my cousin Richa, also cousin of Meghna, Gaurav/Nancy and Varun decided on a 10day visit to NYC from Mumbai! Now Richa was my partner in crime when I was in Mumbai! We were the Brandra girls, loafing around everywhere - when we were not traveling or doing things I cannot reveal here! ;)
My sister Prerna. This picture is in Shimla! wooottt woooo.....
So Reeeecccha! Madam came with two motives, one to shop and the other I am forbidden to reveal! haha.. But the excitement definitely grew!Her first day in NY was awesome, I met her after my I finished worf for the day at my Intership studio and met her at MACYs. Richa, kept raving about a famous cheesecake - I have to admit it was awesome, but hugeeee! Anyhow, post that we met Gaurav and Varun at Barna, in Park Avenue. I was wearing my famous OSHO dress, which is LEGEN-DARY!!! ( Barney style from How I Met your Mother!). I shall leave my brothers and sisters to comment upon that.. haha..

We also got the opportunity to spend Rakhi together, making Indian food for them etc etc - the works! After which, we went to the East Village to have some funnnnnnnnnnn........
And we finally made it to 230 5th as well..
It was just something we had to do!

Journal Square...
So, Meghna and I decide to go to Journal Square (New Jersey) for grocery shopping! You may wonder why? But trust me when you go there, you know why Indians in NY run there on weekends! Patel's video library, Patel's grocery, Jagdamba Jewelers, South Indian restraunts (where we ate dosa and had the best south indian coffee), Pav Bhaji, Chaat Places! You name it and not to forget the loud Bollywood music adding to the comotion! We really felt at home! hahhaaha! And we shopped as though we just discovered a gold mine! :)
While I was having all this fun, I was also Interning at the Color Association of the US (CAUS)...
So, I finally finally got to work with colour and only colour!
The studio on 315 W, 39th street Studio did full justice to the core value of the studio, e.i. Colour, by everything being white! It almost felt like the white has absorbed all the colours of the spectrum and offers the designer the space and canvas to pick colours from it! Mac Books, White Furniture, White Crockery, Herbal Tea, Acrylic Centre Table, White Office Stationary, all these elements together brought together the essence of the studio which Leslie Harrington, the President, has so meticulously brought about! While I was there, I was fortunate to be part of the Interiors Forecast Conference at Steelcase for 2010, create the forecast books with colour names as well as do a little write up on Colour Trends.
I can go on and on about colour, it being my passion, so I shall dedicate another post to my colourful experiences!
My last and final visitor.. SHIVAM
My last night in NYC :(
Now Mr Tewari has manyyyy names ;) like N.B (hahhaa) however, I shall leave that to your imagination! So, Shivam came into NYC for a couple of days from LA. At the moment he was the proud concert-goer of a Radiohead Concert in SF! I was ofcourse green all over but I let it pass, since I really didnt have a choice and had to settle with a Wyclef Jean concert he flew down from Delhi to Bbay for!! haha.. It was fun though!! Dollar Dollar Bill ya.. ;P
But I have to admit, Shivam's a great writer - hes a romantic, so gets all descriptive and his dictionary of adjectives is to die for! haha...well, he helped me with some colourful essays! :)
So, this picture is actually on my last night in NYC :( and hey no prizes for guessing where we went!! haha.. HARD ROCK OFCOURSE! :) See, its a cycle, what goes around comes around! haha..
MY LAST SUNDAY IN NYC...
So Richa had left by now, so it was back to me and Maggi Noodles! I also had to had to meet Parul and I had to take a ferry from Jersey City to town with my last Magarita at Southwest! (since it was usually the other way round).
My last day, had to meet Parul as well. I forget where, but it was awesome! An open place where we indulged on Nachos with Guacomole!! Parul's a darling! She knows everyone everywhere, what to where and how to get where! Shes a perfect event planner! :) Oh how can I forget the drive she took me to Brookyln Bridge!! Here is a glimpse...
Meghna and Varun came to drop me. We sitting opp Ground Zero, next to Hilton waiting for myJFK Airport Shuttle. I remember this is around 6pm! Varun came straight from work to WTC whereas Meghna took the second half off work,finally I saw the BULL at Wall Street, ate my last Burrito at Chipotle and bought I LOVE NY merchandise!

Mixed feelings when I was leaving...
I had to cut short my trip in NYC by 2 weeks since I had to rush back to India for my Italian Visa. Very fortunately for me I got through the Design Innovation Made In Italy (DIMI) Scholarship Programme in Milan. Since the programme started 15 days after, I didn't have a choice but to rush back for my visa! While I had something spectacular awaiting me, I also didnt want to let go of this! Many good things came out of my trip to NYC and I wish I can go spend this time sometime soon again!! My visit was full of action, I got to spend real quality time with my family and even close friends! Its been eye-opener in terms of what awaits outside the country, the levels I would like to achieve and how far design can really have a reach!
My flight back to India turned out even more adventurous! Since I was flying Emirates, I had a flight change in Dubai,which turned out extremely interesting!However, I shall leave that to another post!
To sum up I have only one thing to say is...





6 comments:
:) Teeheeeeee. I'm so happy I made your blog!
:) Teeheeeeee. I'm so happy I made this blog! and you wrote this post!
:P
Oh yeah, Richa is still hot.
Bijouxxxx thanks for starting it for me! Iv learnt now! haha.. and Nipun, stop letching at my cousins!! hahaa..rascal!
where the hell am is my space in your blog.. i'm the one who kept hearing u ranting n raving about your vacation till i was sick " n green all over".. i sincerely i deserve a few lines too.. saali!!
poodoo... this is only the beginning of my blog.. i shall dedicate an entire post to you!!!
Post a Comment